Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Right Presentation

I went to a ordination service for a pastor in another denomination the other day.  I realized in that place the appropriate attire for me to present myself with was a suit and tie.  I rarely ever wear a suit and tie anymore, but  it was the the right presentation for that day in that place.  


I think there are appropriate ways to present ourselves to God in prayer. Humility is an important way to present ourselves to God when we come to prayer.  2 Chronicles 7:14 says "Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land."   and   James 4:6b“God opposes the proud but favors the humble.”7 So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Come close to God, and God will come close to you.  ...10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up in honor.


I am convinced that we learn to by humble before God.  It is something we can equip people to do.  We can't force them to do it, but we can help them understand how to go there.  A few of the ways we try and help people practice humility as our Monday night prayer are: 



  1. Encouraging people to have postures of prayer.  
  2. We encourage people to kneel from time to time.  
  3. We let people know that raising their hands in worship is an expression that is welcome at prayer and is also biblical.
  4. Letting people turn their palms up in an expression of "I need you God" is something we do from time to time.  
  5. Letting people pray on a mic who will model humility.  
  6. Encouraging leaders to model vulnerability if they are leading prayer.
  7. Model authenticity in prayer (being real) and not posturing.   This is a value we teach in our prayer training.

No comments:

Post a Comment